Creating and Maintaining Inclusive Schools for All
Join 21_Connect on Thursday, October 26, at Hotel Henry Urban Resort Conference Center for an interactive presentation for any teacher, administrator, therapist, parent or CSE director who is interested in creating more inclusive schools.
Filled with useful ideas and strategies, we will cover how to create inclusive schools and the dramatic achievement results of an inclusive shift for students with and without disabilities.
In partnership with Buffalo Hearing and Speech Center, the Inclusion Session will provide six credit hours of continuing education for teachers, school leaders, social workers, occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech-language pathologists, and audiologists.
Our Keynote Speaker
Julie Causton, PhD
Julie Causton is a Professor in the Inclusive and Special Education Program in the Department of Teaching and Leadership at Syracuse University. She has spent the past 20 years studying best practices for inclusive education and as a former elementary, middle and high school special education teacher herself, she knows firsthand how inclusion leads to better outcomes for students.
She is an educational consultant and works with administrators, teachers, paraprofessionals and families across the country to help them promote and improve inclusive practices. Her dynamic presentations focus on engaging ways to educate all students within the context of general education.
Julie is the author of many books about inclusive education and she has published articles in over thirty educational research and practitioner journals.
Financial: Dr. Causton is employeed by Syracuse University and receives a salary.
Non-Financial: Dr. Causton has no relevant non-financial disclosures.
Details and Agenda
Hotel Henry Urban Resort Conference Center
444 Forest Ave
Buffalo, NY 14213
07:30 – 08:15 am: Arrival, Registration, and Breakfast
08:15 – 09:15 am: See Disability as an Attribute
09:15 – 10:15 am: Placement Matters
10:15 – 10:30 am: Break
10:30 – 11:30 am: Collaborate Differently
11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Lunch and Networking
12:30 – 01:45 pm: Differentiation
01:45 – 02:00 pm: Break
02:00 – 03:15 pm: Challenging Behavior
03:15 – 03:45 pm: Engaged Learning
By the end of this conference, you will be able to:
- Explain 5 rationales for inclusive education
- Implement new strategies for creating inclusive learning experiences
- Define and provide a rationale for differentiation in inclusive school settings
- Use new tools and materials to differentiate the academic curriculum and classroom environment for students of diverse abilities and co-teaching with co-teachers, paraprofessionals and related service providers
- Explain humanistic behavioral supports and discuss the research-based rationale for using humanistic supports instead of rewards and punishments
- Implement new humanistic behavioral supports for a classroom and with individual students
- Explain the research to support the use of engaging and novel activities in the classroom
- Utilize new methods for assessing the inclusion of students
- Use new strategies and tools for to co-planning and co-teaching with co-teachers, paraprofessionals and related service providers
Contact us at 716-427-3575 or email@example.com
Continuing Education Credits
CEU Information: This course is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEU’s (Intermediate level, Professional area)
Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center is approved by the American Occupational Therapy Association to provide Continuing Education programs in Occupational Therapy.
This workshop is offered for 0.6 CEUs. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Physical Therapy as an approved provider of Physical Therapy and Physical Therapy Assistant Continuing Education.
Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center, Inc. SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0264.
Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center is approved by the New York State Education Department as a sponsor of Continuing Teacher and Leader Education.
This workshop offers 6 hours of Continuing Education contact hours.